Flex 3000 Remote
FlexRadio Systems Forums
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Flex 3000 Remote Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, October 10, 2009 8:33 AM
Hi,

I've setup my Flex 3000 as a remote station. I live on the side of a hill about 300 meters from the top. While I have had some success running coax, the loss is high and on the higher bands it is too great, so I have often thought about a remote setup. So I sold my TS 870 and bought a Flex for the remote setup.

Being involved in the IT industry I was expecting some hair pulling getting it all to work, and there was about the amount of hair pulling I expected, thankfully not more.

The setup is, Behinger C1 mike into a small mixer, then into an EQ, compressor, back to the mixer and into a steinberg MI2 external sound interface, into the computer in the shack and into Teamspeak, then out through an external Wifi router with 24dbi mesh dish, to another external Wifi router with 17dbi panel antenna at the top of the hill, into the remote computer running Teamspeak and then into Virtual cable into the Flex 3000. I use Windows remote desktop to control the Flex computer.

I had a few small problems with the Wifi stability, and QRM from the computer, but that has been sloved now. The the only small remaining problem is the latency in the system. To begin with it was about 3 seconds, I have it down to about 1 second now, but would like to reduce it further.

Here are some images of the setup,

Hope to work some fellow Flexer's on air soon !

Steve
Post #1876
Posted Friday, September 11, 2009 5:35 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, August 27, 2010 7:39 AM
Hi Steve,

Interesting post and glad its working for you.

I have experimented with "remote" operation via the internet and VPN with my son and found about 0.5sec delay in audio. Very useful that we are in 2m range of each other so I could hear the audio return.

Seeing as you are on the same LAN, perhaps you should consider IP-Sound by SM5VXC as this is superb for the task and is what my son and I used in our experiment.

Alternatively, you could consider CAT5/6 with fibre optic cable interconnect as I suspect the latency comes from the wifi link as these are never as good as it says on the tin. However, it has a cost. It maybe that experimentation with ip-sound vs teamspeak could be a good avenue to explore.

Once the sunspots come back, I hope to have a QSO with you whilst I wend my way into work in the mornings (your evenings) on 20m. Good freq to listen too anyway is 14.156Mhz as there is a daily with EA7BA with several VK stations and you will always be welcome.

Do keep us posted with your experiments.

Simon M0BOX

Flex3000 vs K2 - tough choice, so I got both.
Post #1916
Posted Saturday, October 3, 2009 9:06 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, October 10, 2009 8:33 AM
Hi Simon,

Thanks for your reply. I managed to get the round trip delay down to about a second, fast enough for general QSO's, but not fast enough for contest work. I also tried Ventrilio which may have been slightly quicker. I will look at the progrma you mentioned thx.

I have to restart the Virtual Cable program every few hours to keep the latency down. For some reason the latency builds up the longer Virtual Cable is running. One time I forgot to restart the Virtual Cable after been out of the shack for a couple of days. I started everything up and couldn't work out why there was no audio, after about 5 minutes the audio started ... there was 5 minutes of latency !

I can ping through the routers to the Flex computer (the remote computer) with only a few ms latency and using Remote Desktop from the local to the Flex is just like using the local machine. I also upgraded the network card in the flex PC as for some reason the old one refused to run at 100mbit, but that actually made no difference.

Anyway I hope to catch you on 20 sometime, I havn't been in the shack for a week or so, but will get back there soon.

Cheers,
Steve
VK3LMR
Post #1966
Posted Saturday, June 25, 2011 7:18 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, March 4, 2012 6:46 AM
Very nice remote setup.

phil de ka1gmn

phil de ka1gmn
Post #4527
Posted Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:05 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:02 AM
Good set-up done...hope we can also try with this and get some better result.

cv writing
Post #4858
Posted Friday, March 23, 2012 8:50 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, March 26, 2012 8:55 AM
Once the sunspots come back, I hope to have a QSO with you whilst I wend my way into work in the mornings (your evenings) on 20m. Good freq to listen too anyway is 14.156Mhz as there is a daily with EA7BA with several VK stations and you will always be welcome.
I am new here so i does not have more idea about it give me some more tips.
Post #5513
Posted Monday, March 26, 2012 8:03 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, March 26, 2012 7:57 AM
I tried the 3000 for three weeks and returned it. The receiver was great - however, the transmitter emitted 60 Watt spikes on PTT (not healthful for solid state amps).

Although Flex support was responsive, they wasted a lot of my time - never resolving the problem.

Kitchen cabinets online
Post #5518
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 0 (0 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 4:30pm